CFD Performance Comparison Between GPU and CPU
For the GPU Technology Conference 2013 (GTC13) I performed a series of simulations in Caedium comparing the OpenFOAM® linear solver GPU option using ofgpu with the standard CPU shared memory option using MPI. See selected slides and the presentation deck below.
Clearly there is still more work to do to make the GPU accelerated linear solvers competitive with the highly optimized MPI compatibility in OpenFOAM. The good news is that the NVIDIA CUDA software continues to improve with each new release and the GPU hardware performance is increasing faster than Moore's Law.
OpenFOAM is a registered trademark of OpenCFD and is unaffiliated with Symscape.
Recent blog posts
- How Aerodynamics Dominates The Tour de France
- Wacky CFD
- Go Full Circle With CFD
- CFD Expertise Is Your Modern Day Pick and Shovel
- CFD Benefits From 3D Printing
- Cutting Planes Reveal Yet More Hidden CFD Secrets
- Clipping Planes Reveal Even More Hidden CFD Secrets
- Symmetry Reveals More Hidden CFD Secrets
- No Colorful Fluid Dynamic Paint Yet
- Colorful Fluid Dynamic Paint