CFD Performance Comparison Between GPU and CPU
For the GPU Technology Conference 2013 (GTC13) I performed a series of simulations in Caedium comparing the OpenFOAM® linear solver GPU option using ofgpu with the standard CPU shared memory option using MPI. See selected slides and the presentation deck below.
Clearly there is still more work to do to make the GPU accelerated linear solvers competitive with the highly optimized MPI compatibility in OpenFOAM. The good news is that the NVIDIA CUDA software continues to improve with each new release and the GPU hardware performance is increasing faster than Moore's Law.
OpenFOAM is a registered trademark of OpenCFD and is unaffiliated with Symscape.
Recent blog posts
- Fluid Dynamics in 2016
- Lessons in CFD from 2016
- CFD Simulations of 2016
- Perfect Gifts for CFDers
- Intuition and Fluid Dynamics
- Turbulence Model Selection
- Double Diffusers and F-Ducts Explained
- Fluid Dynamics News: Hydraulic Capsule Pipelines and Fish Farming Sea Cages
- Symmetry for CFD to the Rescue
- Amazing 3D Maze Solved by CFD