Free Surface Tank Filling CFD Simulation
This animation, created by Caedium Professional, shows a transient multiphase CFD simulation of water filling a tank that is initially filled with air. The free surface is shown as blue for the air-side surface and red for the water-side surface. Each frame of the animation was automatically rendered by POV-Ray (a ray-tracer) through Caedium.
Try CFD Yourself
Are you ready for a 30-day free trial of Caedium Professional?
For such a simple geometry it is worth the extra effort to produce a multi-block hexahedra mesh. This means constraining the geometry during construction to be volumes with 6 faces. Once complete the multiple volumes can then be connected at common faces to form a continuous flow domain.
With a constrained multi-block topology the meshing can then produce hexahedra cells. Typically hexahedra are more accurate for CFD simulations compared to other element shapes.
Rather than post process a huge amount of flow data (there were 600 frames in the movie) after the simulation was finished to create the movie, Caedium simultaneously initiated each frame render in POV-Ray while the simulation was running.
For comparison a native (non-ray traced) render of the same frame is shown below:
Checkout Caedium tutorials on:
- Multi-block topology construction at "Water Tank"
- Movie creation for a tank filling simulation at "Transient Water and Air Flow in a Tank"
See "POV-Ray" for instructions on using it to render movie frames in Caedium.
Recent blog posts
- No Colorful Fluid Dynamic Paint Yet
- Colorful Fluid Dynamic Paint
- Transparency Reveals Hidden CFD Secrets
- Challenging Orthodox Truck Design
- Caedium CFD Sneak Peek: Conjugate Heat Transfer
- 10 Design Rules For Fluid Dynamics
- Results Setup For CFD
- CFD for Your SMB
- 5 Ways to CFD With Caedium
- 9 CFD Simulations