Wind Turbine Crossed with a Blimp
Another helium-filled post - this time it's a helium-filled blimp that houses a horizontal-axis wind turbine [source: gizmag]. Altaeros Energies recently released a video of their prototype Airborne Wind Turbine in action:
So what is the attraction of airborne wind turbines? Once you are beyond the Earth's boundary layer you have access to stronger and more dependable wind currents. Therefore, an airborne wind turbine promises relief from the weak and intermittent winds found at ground level. It's still early days for airborne wind turbines and whether they can deliver on their promise remains to be seen.
Recent blog posts
- Caedium CFD Sneak Peek: Passive Species Transport
- Automated Creation and Export of CFD Results
- Aerodynamics Plays No Role in the Performance of Stationary Bicycles
- Aerodynamic Performance of a Stationary Bicycle
- Color Maps, Vectors, Streamlines, Action!
- 6 Things to Consider Before Switching Turbulence Model
- CFD Simulation Steering
- Why Compromise with Browser-Based CAD/CAE Applications?
- Avoid CFD Transient Data Overload with Co-Processing
- 5 Tips for CFD Flow Volume Creation