Caedium free trial feedback
I have spent one day testing your software Caedium Professional. I have mainly concentrated on using the flow solver since I already have a mech design software that I like.
I have found a number of things that you need to fix before your software is usable:
1. Don't use ridiculous sounds when I select things in the menu or run simulations. Its not a game or a toy i presume.
2. The graphics look okay (it's not ugly), but the handling of zoom, pan and especially spin is really stupid. Have a look at any modern mechanic development tools where you can do all three with simple mouse gestures. Use the middle button for spin when pressed, zoom with scroll wheel, pan with right button. Left buttons selects objects. This will also prevent you from other (silly) usages of right button.
3. There are far too many, right click - left click - right click, for selecting things. This is just plain stupid and hard to remember. Make things more consistent. Preferably object oriented.
4. It is impossible to know what has been done, selected or modified in the model. There is no visual indication or feedback that a surface has been selected as input or output (or any other things). I can't see anywhere that it has been done and I don't find anywhere to change the input or add a second one or remove the input. You could fix this by having a tree like structure like other mechanical design software.
5. I cant find any easy way to alter the boundary conditions. It seems plain stupid to me that I need to select flowing media (air) ones again to be able to change the velocity. Besides this the velocity has got quite little to do with the media. That feels more like the input. What if I have two inputs? What do I do then?
6. The graphics is far too slow. Use a better 3D engine. Take something from the gaming industry. My regular laptop almost stopped completely when doing the tutorial with the simple pipe-into-box.
7. Get things straight in you tutorials! There are no "Scale"-field in the properties when I have displayed the velocity vectors. The file I downloaded with the pipe-into-box has a scale factor error of 1000 or the software has a scale factor error of 0.001. I needed to translate the surface for the particle tracks 3500m (not 3.5m as the tutorial say). Probably as a result of this the calculations in the end doesn't converge. This really sucks and makes the tool or tutorial (can't say) useless. There are no way as I see it to measure distances in the model. That sucks.
8. I imported an IGES file that I exported from my mech design software. I took forever and consumed all memory of my computer and before Caedium finished I had to kill the application and reboot my PC to get it straight. This IGES-model is not extremely complicated, but not trivial as your tutorial example.
9. Your user interface is very far from intuitive. Perhaps you should try a more object like interface where you select either one or many edges, faces or volume by left mouse click or left down-drag window-release move. Either in view window or in a tree like structure mentioned earlier. Have a look at any modern mech design software, they all look quite the same.
10. I can't seem to figure out how to stop and restart a calculation. Stopping went fine, but upon restart it seemed to continue where it stopped even though I changed some input parameters like accuracy. Even when I saved the work, exited Caedium, restarted and reloaded the workfile it still continued where it left when I stopped it. I didn't found any restart button. I suggest you totally disconnect the simulation-run, -stop of calculations from your recording function. It's not logical.
[Edit: based on an email exchange]