Punch a Hole in a Face
Submitted by symscape on May 31, 2013 - 10:42
You can use the Boolean subtract operation available in our Caedium Builder and Professional add-ons to punch (subtract) a hole in a face using a volume (e.g., a cylinder). Follow along with this tip to see how.
- You have downloaded, installed, and activated Caedium Builder or Caedium Professional.
- You are familiar with Caedium essentials.
- Start Caedium and select the Geometry Tool Palette. Drag and drop the Faces->Rectangle tool onto the View Window (view). Select Done to create a square (face).
- Select the Volumes->Cylinder tool and set the Radius to 2 in the Properties Panel. Press Enter on the keyboard to apply the changes to the Properties Panel.
- Drag and drop the Volumes->Cylinder tool onto the View Window (view). Double click sim in the Select dialog and select Done to generate a cylinder (volume).
- In the Home Toolbar click the Fit-All button so that you can see everything in the View Window.
- To translate the square to the middle of the cylinder, select the Transforms->Translate tool. In the Properties Panel set Translate to [-5 -5 5].
- Drag and drop the Transforms->Translate tool onto an edge of the square in the View Window. Select Done to translate the square to the middle of the cylinder.
- Drag and drop the Booleans->Subtract tool directly onto an edge of the square. Double-click face in the Select dialog to select the square.
- Select Select/Deselect from the menu, right-click on the edge of the cylinder (volume), and then double-click volume to select the cylinder. Select Done to subtract the cylinder from the square. The result will be a square face with a hole in its center (face_7).
- Essentials Manual
- RANS Flow
- Panel Flow
- Accuracy Tool
- Clipping a View
- Cloud Burst Service
- Cloud Service
- Color Map
- Create an Anaglyph 3D Stereoscopic Image
- Import a SketchUp Model
- Import an OpenFOAM Mesh
- Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008 Cluster Configuration
- Multiple Views
- Multiple Volume Flow Domain
- Parallel Configuration
- Particles or Streamlines
- Punch a Hole in a Face
- Relaxation Factors in RANS Flow Solvers
- Run, Stop, and Lock Controls
- Telemetry Posting to TwitPic and Twitter
- Topology Operations
- Trim a Face
- Use an Image as a Background
- Using Fields and Variables
- View a Mesh
- Visual Facets Control
- Visual Finish
- Visualization Preferences